Interested in ordering a cake? If you're located in the South Jersey/Philadelphia area I would love to hear from you! Feel free to email me at renee.vanreed@gmail.com.

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Minnie Mouse 1st Birthday

My niece turned 1 year old today, and her mom threw her the most awesome birthday party to celebrate!  Everything was pink, black, and white.  There was tons of pink candy on all the tables and the kids were even given Mickey and Minnie ears to wear.  A party this cute and coordinated calls for a cake to match.


The cake was vanilla with cream cheese icing.  I ran into a bit of a pickle with the mouse head.  See, I don't work with fondant, and I have learned from experience that black buttercream icing may only be used in minimal amounts for piping.  Never cover a cake with it - it tastes bitter and leaves people with stained mouths which is not flattering.  So, solution - I iced this in white, then covered the entire thing with black sprinkles.  I loved the extra sparkle it provided.  Though I will admit, I think there was still a stain risk.  So I warned those in charge and we opted to serve the bottom tier first, and the top only if necessary.  Black is still my nemesis.

Oh, and because each 1st birthday requires a special birthday boy/girl piece of cake, I made a mouse on the side, just for her.  Ears on both cakes were made of sugar cookies!  There were also chocolate cupcakes to boot, but you'll just have to imagine them in your mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment